View Larger Map

Sunday, February 8, 2009

The westside story V A - Fort Aguada and Old Goa

This is my first post and probably the going to be the only one. The rest went to Mandarim beach while I headed to Fort Aguada. It was too hot, so I took the car (for want of an AC) to Fort Aguada. Had been here earlier, on my last visit, but had reached way too early – 0830 …it was closed! :-/ :)

It’s easy to get to Fort Aguada from Baga, just follow the road signs. Though muttee (Leela Muthana) told me a million times that there isn’t much to see at Aguada (would you believe this was her eighth visit to Goa) , I still had to go see it- There isn’t much to see at Aguada-a light house you cant enter, the fort walls, and a quiet 15 minute drive is all you get.

Spent 15 minutes in the heat and then drove off to Panaji on my way to Old Goa. Old Goa is about 11 Kms from Panaji, and Panaji is approx 8-9 Kms from Aguada.

Old Goa comes on NH4A which connects Panaji with Belgaum (Approx 154 Kms from Panaji). Old Goa as its known now was a major city in the 16th century. The beautiful churches and cathedrals send you back in time. Next to the famous St. Francis Assisi church is an Archeological Museum, which gives you a nice history of Goa from 9th Century AD. The collection of portraits on the 1st floor gives you a feel of what Old Goa was all about. While exiting and going back to the ground floor there are few sketches of Old Goa which MUST NOT be missed. The tell you the about the Goa that is missed by most tourists. (Including our famous 8th time visitor to Goa :))

Other nice places to see are the Church of Saint Cajetan, Viceroy gate, Basilica of Bom Jesus and the SE Cathedral.

One interesting thing I noticed (being a Delhi-ite, you get can tune into a live feed from 102.6 FM Rainbow and eat Mother dairy ice-creams in and around Panaji :) )

I headed back to Baga and sat in one of the shacks helping my self to some Pasta and Coke while I waited for the rest of the guys. They came back around 1930hrs and we came back and freshened up.

More later ….Dasvidanya.

No comments:

Post a Comment